Wednesday, October 04, 2006

No more domes!


All Bible artists love their dome topped buildings! I know I do.
In-fact, a village just doesn't look biblical without a few domes scattered around..
Very rarely will you see a christmas card of Bethlehem without domes!

I was told many years ago however, that buildings around this period, didn't have domes! At least not in Israel.
This was confirmed to me recently in an email from Todd Bolen, professor of biblical studies in Jerusalem, and author of the excellent website www.bibleplaces.com

So, domes were architectural features that were added after the 'New Testament' period!
It's back to the drawing board for me, and no more domes!

Related posts:
Being Roofless!
What did Herod's Temple look like?
Houses in Bible times

1 comment:

Bible artist said...

Thanks Paul! That's helpful.